Saturday, May 23, 2009

MORE FROM THE GARDEN

I still have fond memories of in the early 1980s when I attended a tennis match between Ivan Lendl v. Boris Becker at the Garden. I don't know how I got the ticket, who were there and what other matches took place that day or exact date/year. I knew it was special because Lendl was one of the world most dominant tennis players in the 1980s. Lendl reached the top spot when he defeated John McEnroe in the 1985 US Open final.
I found an interesting fact from Wikipedia that Ivan Lendl in the 1980s was a minority owner of the Hartford Whalers hockey team which is now the Carolina Hurricanes. The Canes just lost Game 3 to the Pens 6-2 in the Eastern Conference Finals. My husband said "Leave it to a hockey junkie to find connection between tennis and hockey or somehow everything is connected to hockey."


No comments: